FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups |  Register |  Profile | Log in ]

::: CityOfWindsor.com Community Message Board :::

Freedom Festival?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityOfWindsor.com Forum Index -> Local City Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomg

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Freedom Festival? Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the freedom fest will be on this year? When? I know there's been some financial issues from last year.

Will there still be fireworks?
FedUpCanuck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Freedom Fest Reply with quote
Hey Tom

As far as i know there will still be fireworks, but it will be put on by the US.

As for the Freedom Festival here in Windsor, they have gone out of business, but i heard a rumour that there would still be some events down by the river, just nothing compared to what we used to have.

I'm sure businesses in the area will probably come together and donate some money to have the festivities go on, but i wouldn't count on it happening for very many years after that.
P-man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
"just nothing compared to what we used to have."

this was a joke right? I have been to many cities, all across Canada, I have lived in several.
the Calgary Stampede is world renowned, and generates millions each year. this has been going on now for many years. it is a HUGE event. Calgary had a population similar to ours when this began, but the city and the people in the city supported it.
I might also add Calgary does not have several million Americans right next door willing to spend their money for a good time either.
The freedom festival is a joke in comparison, always was. the only thing decent was the fireworks, and that only cause the Americans are actually willing to spend a little money for them.

the businesses here, and the people within, are not interested in making the city better, we are more interested in making money.
One thing is certain though, it seems that by not spending the money on these interesting things like a festival, we are all going to loose out this year, and its our own faults.

thats my humble opinion
suzanne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree. Local business especially need to pony up and help create events like a festival that will draw in visitors from both sides of the border to the city. Visitors means shopping which benefits us all. We have a pot of gold with the US-Canada border here... we should milk it for all it's worth.

Also worth mentioning is that the town of LaSalle is having their Strawberry Festival this weekend. It is a typical town festival but they are putting on their second big FREE concert. This year it is Finger Eleven (a new rock band). It's free! I bet it will draw in a huge crowd.

A better deal than the Guess Who which was a major flop. Seems to me that the county has it right.
mattster1972

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Our Fest does not do anything for myself and family no more. Kind of one of those things ya grow out of. I have even noticed before I stopped going down their was not a big crowed the past few years. Also I feel it's just a big upset in the spot it's in traffic wise and such.. way too crowded!

Im kind of up and down about the whole situation but I can say that it is a shame that the bill has not been paid for them to come back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vince88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Freedom Fest Reply with quote
thr freedom fest was a month ago now and i was there. i noticed nothing different from past years other than there were minimal bands. i guess we should appreciate the fest since it is one of the very few family events that go on in this city.

on the family events note, i would highly recommend taking the family to cedar point. its in sandusky ohio and only takes 2-3 hours to get there. there are rides and attractions for all of the family. there are awesome rollercoasters for the older kids and adults and smaller ones for the young ones. tickets are 41.95(US) and most days in the summer the park is open 10am-11pm. since it is so close you can go for the day or stay over night at one of the resorts that are right in the park.
mattster1972

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
you mean their were rides and such downtown this year? What was all the fuss about them not even coming back and such?

Better yet! I'd recommend Colasanti's for the kids! It's free & Fun for the family and kids... They have a little arecade now 50 cents a game! win tickes for prizes for the little ones! Mini golf! a couple of small rides for the kids and a petting zoo which is a buck to get in! Good food as well!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CityOfWindsor.com Forum Index -> Local City Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: